AS/NZS 4801 is the Australian and New Zealand standard for safety management. Updated in 2001 – referred to as AS/NZS 4801:2001 – this standard is the benchmark in assessing Occupational Health and Safety across management systems.
It is regarded as a discipline which guides organisations in developing and implementing policies and objectives that demonstrate a company’s knowledge and control over hazards and risks present in its work environment. The internationally recognised standard is known as OHSAS 18001.
The responsibility of management in regards to the health and safety of their employees, business units, and output have increased due to changes with the introduction of the WHS Act in 2011. As a result, this has made it increasingly important for an organisation to implement a management system to comply with the necessary obligations.
Certified companies will have a certificate that bears one of the following 5 tick symbols.
A valid certificate will also have a JAS-ANZ stamp and only a document stamped in this way will be accepted.
Benefits of AS/NZS 4801 Certification
The benefits of AZ/NZS 4801 Certification are that it:
- Encourages a culture of safety in the workplace
- Proves the affective implementation of an OH&S management system
- Reduces the onset of workplace injuries, illness and incidents due to increased control
- Enhances your company’s reputation as a safe and reliable partner, contractor or supplier
- Demonstrates strong commitment to ongoing improvement of safety performance